The MDI platform (FIMMAS) has been supporting insurance products for 40 years, so we have a huge library of pre-built, out-of-the-box functions to enable you to get online and up-to-speed quickly. Furthermore, we have decades of experience customizing our platform to meet your unique requirements, no matter what they may be.
- The MDI platform provides extensive user flexibility in defining, maintaining, and applying rules for rating and valuation calculations.
- Product rules and rate book information are designed to be maintained by non-technical personnel using standard input screens or importing data from outside sources.
- Rate tables may be imported into our platform from external files or spreadsheets. Programming is required only when there are special, non-standard output formats or calculations.
- The MDI platform allows each policy to be associated with multiple writing agents, with up to ten agent splits.
- Writing agents can be in a reporting hierarchy of up to nine levels.
- The number of levels can be easily modified to accommodate your requirements.
- Our platform supports commission processing for all product lines.
- The commission master files include agent master information, hierarchy information, agent financial information and statements, commission rate files, and commission history files.
- Agent validation takes place during application submission based on rules defined in easily maintainable tables using the information in the license and appointment records for the Agent or Agents.
- Commission rates can vary by plan, marketing organization, age, duration, agent level, face amount band, date range, substandard rating, premium type, agent situations, and group.
- The platform prepares an agent statement for each agent, listing all commission transactions including totals on premiums and commissions for the statement period, year-to-date totals, debit balances, etc.
- The platform readily interfaces with an existing check writing or Accounts Payable system to produce checks. Our platform also captures information needed for 1099 reporting and to produce W2s.
Billing Administration creates billing extracts, prints notices, and updates master files, based on user-maintained rules for billing.
Billing rules include the number of notices per billing cycle, the timing of notices, the header information for notices, and whether or not payment is required to keep the policy in force.
Bills and notices can be printed for one, several, or all policies; and can be run on an ad hoc basis, upon user request, or as part of regularly scheduled processing.
Other billing features include:
- Multiple billing types: direct bill, list bill, true group, self-billing, credit card, and e-billing
- Multiple non-standard frequencies, including 9, 10, 11, 13, and zero times per year, in addition to all the normal modes
- User-defined billing parameters and rules
- User-defined wording and messages on bills
- Balance carry forward and automatic application
- Billing for outstanding periods
- Multiple remittance options: check, lockbox, EFT, Stripe, ApplePay
- Ability to review the bill before sending a notice
- Ability to change billing information and recalculate
- Ability to change billing status
- Ability to re-bill
- Ability to suspend billing for user-defined reason
- Manual or auto reconciliation for group billing
- Group change activities through reconciliation screens
- Group level over/short tolerances
- Multiple user-defined billing formats
- Administration Fee billing for ASO groups
Claims handling consists of four elements:
- Claims entry and determination of eligibility
- Claims adjudication (calculation of payment)
- Disbursement processing
- Claims tracking, inquiry and reporting (including tax reporting)
Our platform also provides an interface to specialized systems for claims adjudication for health products so that claims for all types of products can be handled.
- Our platform creates the claim record, checks eligibility, and calculates the payment amount.
- The payment information is used to create a disbursement record, allocates the disbursement to appropriate General Ledger accounts, and updates the client database to reflect the payment.
- The platform database then retains all transaction detail for tracking of claims history and payment history.
- All detail is available for inquiry and reporting.
- Detail records are retained online until you decide to archive or delete them.
New Business Processing
New business processing provides functions for streamlined entry of information about:
- New applications
- Validation of new data
- Preparation of issue documents
- Commission advances
- Placing the coverage in force
- Online application entry
- Optional automatic assignment of policy number
- Calculation of all items for policy specifications and cost disclosure pages, including issue age, premiums, dividends, and paid-up insurance
- Support for redo/reprocessing, reprinting, recalculation, and reissue without reentry of application data
- Automated requirements ordering and tracking
- Tracking and aging of applications
- Commission calculation
- Compliance verification
- Handling of cash with application
- Real-time update of all information, immediately available for online inquiry and reporting
- Entry/inquiry access for authorized field personnel
- Optional electronic transfer of application data from external files. Whatever the source, all application data is subject to the same integrity edits. (This supports eApps through the Web)
- Support for Jet Issue processing
- Product requests are submitted via web, phone, or email; and are entered into our platform either electronically or manually dependent on how the request was received.
- All electronic requests are screened for eligibility based on age and location. Any non-eligible requests are identified in an exception report which is used to determine alternative products that could be marketed.
- Our client database provides full customer information for primary insureds, additional insureds, joint insureds, payers, owners, beneficiaries, and other individuals with a business relationship to your company, such as agents, brokers, marketing prospects, referrals, insurance carriers, and reinsurers. As policies or customers are added to the system, the platform checks against pre-defined identifiers to prevent duplication of records.
- The MDI platform flags all maturities and expiries prior to their scheduled termination date. Users can control the timing of when this is done relative to the scheduled termination date. This capability extends to contracts and to riders.
- The MDI platform supports the reinstatement of policies and individual riders. Since master file information is retained following a termination, it is easy to do a reinstatement.
- To correct an error, the user makes a single online entry, indicating the adjustment and the applicable date. The system automatically recalculates values without further manual intervention. No batch cycle update is required.
- The MDI platform was designed to support the product calculation and the "versary" processing requirements of complex non-traditional life and annuity products. From that base, the platform has been extended to support a wide range of traditional insurance products. Some products call for anniversary processing and others call for monthaversary processing. The platform allows a plan to be implemented either way.
- Policy loan disbursements and loan repayments are supported in the MDI platform. The system creates accounting transaction records when transactions are posted and also creates loan interest transactions. A permanent record of the transactions (check amounts and interest) is stored in the Accounting History File.
- Reinsurance tracking is part of the MDI platform base system. The platform determines the total amount of insurance in force by insured Social Security number.
- The amount of existing coverage plus the amount applied for can be compared to the company's retention limit, to check for the need to reinsure a case.
- Our platform easily calculates the amount of insurance and reinsurance in force on existing policies.
- Our platform also provides an optional module for the administration of reinsured contracts. The reinsurance module includes net reinsured amount, age, substandard ratings, risk class, gender, and other variables to compute the reinsurance premium.
- The module also calculates allowances. Each benefit, rider, or supplemental coverage can be reinsured with one or more carriers under multiple treaties. Our platform can also interface with an external reinsurance system.
Repetitive Payments Processing
The is the calculation and payment engine for annuities and claims requiring periodic payments.
The module integrates with other modules for Policy Administration, Client Administration, Reporting, Contract Accounting, Actuarial Support, and System Rules Administration.
The module supports a straightforward series of payments (such as immediate annuities and disability income benefits) in addition to the more complex series of payments associated with structured settlements.
The Repetitive Payments Module supports:
- Automation of periodic payments with reverification capabilities
- Case management
- Tax calculation and reporting
- Automatic and ad hoc correspondence
- Requirements tracking and auto follow-up
- Elimination and benefit periods
- Multiple payment frequencies
- Offset integration
- COLA capabilities
- Unlimited payees
- Payment preview
Reporting and Correspondence
- The MDI platform has an inherent reporting module or you can generate reports using any ODBC-compliant third-party reporting tool.
- The platform's correspondence link provides an interface to the full-function capabilities of standard word processing and document creation packages.
- Data from the platform can be integrated with user-defined templates to create custom correspondence.
- Our platform has complete ad hoc and automatic correspondence capabilities.
- Through the use of event triggers, you can link any correspondence template to an event trigger and generate correspondence automatically to as many individuals as necessary.
- Both automatic and ad hoc letters can have variable paragraphs or variable languages based on user-defined rules.
- Our platform also supports email distribution of correspondence and reports.
The platform's underwriter worksheet provides streamlined access to underwriting tasks:
- Automatic determination of which new applications require underwriter reviews versus those available for speedy issue
- Automatic determination of underwriting requirements based on plan, age, amount, and other user-defined variables
- Application status tracking
- Checking of approvals and licensing
- Automatic follow ups and reminders on pended items
- Underwriting instructions and referrals to support staff
- Underwriting notes and comments
- Underwriting analysis reports
- Automatic generation of forms and letters
- System calculation of premiums
- Interface with MIB and other vendor support systems
- Security for personal health information
- Online access to reinsurance database
Client Management enables you to collect more information about your clients so that you can better manage your relationship with them. Here are some of the key points and features:
- There are many options on the Client Action screen to collect, view, and maintain various types of info for client management. Some clients load potential prospects into the client file.
- The MDI platform enables ad hoc or automated correspondence with clients.
- The platform has campaign functionality enabling clients to define marketing campaigns. This includes specific targeted ads to their prospects through various media outlets.
- When there is a request for product info from a client's prospect, the MDI platform can track it with the ID of the specific campaign.
- The platform can trigger automatic letters and follow-up letters regarding the request.
- When a new application is submitted, they can track the new app to a specific campaign.